Sunday, October 6, 2013

Arizona schools' game of chess

First and foremost, does anyone know a Speech Pathologist looking for a school position in the Phoenix area?

In order to work in a school system in Arizona as a Speech Language Pathologist, one must obtain a professional SLP license through the AZ Board of Health, a fingerprint clearance from the AZ Department of Public Safety (separate from the one required by the Board of Health; as if one's fingerprint might change when you walk from one building to another) AND a teaching certificate from the AZ Department of Education. The timeline to obtain all of these expensive requirements can be up to 6-8 weeks.

Now, when a school district calls me and asks me to send them an SLP ASAP, about the only thing I can do is steal a Speech Pathologist from another school district! I envision Arizona schools like a huge chess board where I move one SLP chess piece from one district to another!

There is always a chance that someone on maternity leave might be ready to return to work or someone who has retired might want to return for a temporary assignment....or someone may be planning to move to Arizona and have already put the trifecta of monster-approval-machines to work. However, the odds are low on any of those sweet scenarios.

I'm not just picking on Arizona; I can name several other states who make working in their locale difficult because of requirements (IL, PA, GA, FL, AK...I'm sure there are others). I'm always taken aback that someone doesn't petition ASHA to make things more uniform. Surely the children and their disabilities that one treats in TX or NM (simpler states to obtain credentialing) are no different from the children in AZ or IL! Who makes these decisions-bureaucrats with no concept of what's going on in their state??

OK, enough of my rant. Anyone working in an Arizona school want to make a move across the chessboard??? ;-}

No comments:

Post a Comment