Friday, January 14, 2011

Sign Language Interpreters

It seems that I get a fair amount of interest in the profession of sign language interpreting.  I am even giving it some thought as a good second career when I get closer (and that time is nipping at my heels) to retirement.  Some of the advantages that I have gathered are:

1.  Once I hit age 62, my community college allows me free tuition.
2.  It is something that won't require a great deal of physical exertion.
3.  It would allow for a very flexible schedule.
4.  The possibilities seem to be endless for varied avenues to use such a skill (medical field, plays, churches, cruises, meetings, legal venues; it seems to be endless).
5.  I'll be able to talk about people and they won't know what I'm saying...;-}  How cool is that?!

There is a great deal of variance as to levels of training, certifications, venues of employment and the pay scale in the different categories.  A bit of a deterrent for me is that beginning in 2012, to qualify for certification status, one must have a bachelors's degree, which I don't.  There's a good bit of info on deafness.about.com.












No comments:

Post a Comment